Friday, September 24, 2010

"Twins, Sisters, Best Friends...."

I had the privilege of doing a shoot for a group of girls shortly after the 2009-2010 school year ended. They wanted to have some best friend pictures done before some of them went off to college.



This group of girls was very unique. There was an older sister who had graduated from high school a couple of years ago and her younger sister who had just graduated.



The other two girls who had just graduated are twins.



This shoot is still one of my absolute favorite shoots to this date. Growing up I had always wanted a sister and it would have been even cooler to have a twin! Needless to say I was so excited to find out that I would be shooting a group of sisters and twins that had grown up together as best friends! It was like getting a sneak peek into a world full of girl fun.



It was so much fun watching the girls pose like models and pop into formation for the camera, but still look oh so cool and casual. 

 


There was also a lot of girlie twirling, spinning, and jumping in pretty dresses!



Also, the "oh-so" classic best friend picture! Doesn't it look like so much fun! 


But enough about me and my girlish dreams...... Let's talk more about them. Like I mentioned these girls are entering a crossroad in their life and beginning a new journey without each other. I thought it was awesome to be able to capture some "journey representing" shots.

 

Portraits are an awesome way to bring into remembrance what you have experienced in life and also where you will soon be going. I really enjoy finding fun and unique ways of expressing that from behind the camera.



I love the girlish courage that shines in these portraits. It just screams of young women getting ready to live life to the fullest and have fun doing it!  It reminds me of that line in a Carrie Underwood song, "While we're young and beautiful...". 




I also wanted to capture the carefree days of the past by snapping some fun coke shots. I LOVE how these shots came out! I was able to explore some new editing features and really play with the color, or lack of color in some cases, of these portraits. I know some of these are repeats but I really enjoyed several copies and wanted to share them with you.





I captured Miss Linnea's fear of birds on camera! Some peacocks and chickens were stalking the girls through out the shoot and she had had enough! 


Part of me secretly hopes that this shot will make it in the Coke advertising campaign. A girl can dream, right?! 







There was also a point in the shoot that we decided to have a Soul Train party on a little bridge we found at the park. It was so funny while I was snapping these some elderly people were watching and one man said, "Now there's some girls who are full of life and spunk!". It was so cute and I definitely would have to agree with him!




Along the way on our photo shoot journey I got to snap some individual head shots of the girls as well. I say this to you as a mom of two little girls, "Ladies, you are lovely, and don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise!"







 




























































Another grouping of my some of my favorite shots from this shoot included a southern plantation style white porch and some rocking chairs. It reminds me of a group of "Southern Belles" having some sweet tea on a porch. Beautiful!





A big thank you to the group of chickens that decided to make our background even more lovely! Next time I'm hoping for a peacock to wonder by. 




Another reason it was really fun to do this shoot was to watch the sisters behind the camera. As a mom of two girls I'm always wondering how my girls will be together when they are older. Right now, they hold hands, dance, pull each others' hair occasionally (we're still working on this one.... I think it's built into a girl's nature but I believe kindness is a choice that one can make!), and they laugh with each other in their room in the morning when they wake up. I'm sure these girls have had their share of sister fights, arguments over clothes, boys, and the like but I think they have also had some awesome times of pillow fights, slumber parties, talking about guys, and belly giggles that cause those joyful laughing tears. Maybe I'm too much of a dreamer, but I definitely had fun dreaming about my girls while snapping these sister portraits.








Thank you ladies for letting me take your best friend/sister portraits. It was really fun working with you and dreaming a little about how my girls will be when they are your age from behind the camera. I pray that you will have a blessed time as your journey begins! Enjoy the great adventure! 



No comments:

Post a Comment


Daffodil Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Daffodil Photography began with the birth of my two daughters. I wanted to capture every moment and detail of their lives. I now have branched out and want to provide families with affordable, creative, personalized photography. I love capturing families in the moment, playing, laughing, and having a great time together. Also, capturing little details like those sweet newborn smiles and toes, precious teddies, and missing front teeth. Each milestone is important and it's my job to capture them and allow you to have the memory in print. I enjoy each opportunity I get to work with families and I hope yours will be next!

For pricing and information contact: Rebekah Gay
daffodilphoto@gmail.com

Daffodil Photography's Fan Box

Daffodil Photography on Facebook

Followers